Shava Udarakarshanasana (Universal Spinal Twist)
- September 12, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Featured Asana,
Step by Step:
- Lie down with the legs and feet together.
- Stretch the arms out to the sides at shoulder level with the palms of the hands facing down.
- Bend the right leg and place the sole of the foot beside the left kneecap. Place the left hand on top of the right knee.
- Exhale as you gently bring the right knee down towards the floor on the left side of the body, keeping the leg bent and the foot in contact with the left knee.
- Turn the head to the right, looking along the straight arm, and gaze at the middle finger of the right hand.
- The left hand should be on the right knee and the right arm and shoulder should remain in contact with the floor.
- In the final position, the head should be turned in the opposite direction to the folded knee and the other leg should remain straight.
- Hold the position for as long as comfortable.
- Return to the starting position, bringing the head and knee to the centre. Stretch the right arm out to the side and straighten the right leg.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Relieves tightness and tiredness, especially in the lower back.
- Tones the pelvic and abdominal organs through the massaging action.
This asana can realign the hip joint. It should be stopped if the practice is painful.