The four lettered word Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) often creates a nightmare for many women who have their first encounter with this diagnosis. This condition erupting out due to female hormonal imbalances is said to be a direct effect of a competitive lifestyle promoting sedentary habits, fast food intake and minimal physical fitness. The label PCOS on many young women often leads to a negative self impression, reduced self respect, marital problems and stirs up the loss of hope for conception. The collective signs and symptoms seen in this condition are:
- Multiple cyst in one or both the ovaries – diagnosed through ultrasonography
- Irregularity in menstrual cycle
- Excessive air growth and acne on the face
- Growth of fine line of mustache
- Increase hip to waist ratio
- Abdominal weight gain
- Buffalo hump at the back of the neck
- Some women even exhibit unknown resistance to insulin, an important hormone that maintain the sugar balance in the body.
- Untreated PCOS can lead to infertility, diabetes and even heart attack!
Following through with many scientific studies done to investigate benefits of yoga for PCOS, it has now been proven that internal reproductive organ massage and improved blood circulation to deep seated pelvic organs achieved through certain yogic postures has helped to restore the balance of circulating estrogen and progesterone – opening the doorways to the management of PCOS.